Sunday, July 26, 2009

We'll miss you Yasmin Ahmad.

Got the news from Lay Hoon; "Yasmin Ahmad is dead". I was shocked.
.

I read about it that Yasmin was admitted into the ICU and I was praying and hoping she'll received a speedy recovery. There’s always this thought in my mind that good people will only die at old age. So, her death came as a shock to me.

.

Never met her before in person, but I followed greatly on her works. My thesis was on her movie “Sepet”. I’ve watched it over and over again to analyse the characters the subject matter of the movie. Like Literature, her film too allows freedom of interpretation and rich in literary symbolism which makes audience think and reflect upon their society, nation and especially their own self.

.

After receiving that devastating news, I watched “Sepet” again this morning. It was emotionally overwhelming this time… knowing that the works of Yasmin Ahmad had touched the heart and soul of my generation in Malaysia, and hopefully will inspire more filmmakers to be like her; to carry on the torch of hope for a better Malaysia.


Thank you Yasmin Ahmad, Malaysia will miss you. You will be remembered forever.


No comments: