Monday, December 01, 2008

(if) Runner's World Interviewed Andrew

Andrew Ng is a student from Univesiti Kebangsaan Malaysia. Majoring in Literature, he now found a whole new literary meaning in running ever since it was introduced by a friend not long ago.
Runner's World had the oppotunity to interview him about his experience in KRI 12.8km road race last sunday in Ipoh recently.
*****
RW: How'd the race go? Did you have a strategy worked out heading into it, or did you just wing it?
AN: I think I ‘wing’ it. Once the signal was given to start the race, I ran hard for about 1 – 2km. Then, I slowed down and kept to a moderate pace. I build up some speed according to my recovery rate; I pushed myself from time to time whenever I felt I’ve recovered.
.
RW: For a first timer in a long distance race, how do you think you did in this 12.8km race?
AN: Well, as you said I’m only a first timer. I’m just happy to be able to finish a 12.8km race. And clocking in at 1:30:40 was a time I expect to get after just 19 times of training.
.
RW: Do you think you could have done better if you got more time to train? You’ve told me that you only started training last month.
AN: I would think so. I’ve noticed the development of my running through out my 19 trainings that I had. I remember my first training; after just 800meters of slow run I stopped and panted as if I’m dying.
.
But by the 10th training, I’ve already reached the 6km mark and able to run a 30 - 40minutes of non-stop running. On my 12th training, I’ve reached my 7km mark. Then by my 17th training, I finally reached my 10km in 1hr 11min 39sec. The KRI 12.8km run was actually my 20th training; hitting my 12.8km mark was a success to me because I had never reached that distance before.
.
I can only imagine if KRI 12.8km race day was my 100th training. Who knows, maybe I may be one of those top ten finisher.
.
RW: Did you get any strange looks before, during and after the race?
AN: I don’t know about the ‘during’ and ‘after’ the race look but I can share with you the ‘before’ thing. While registering and colleting our goodies, there was this guy who hinted to me that I’m unfit to run a long distance run – but he did not said it directly, maybe not even intentionally.
.
As you can see, I’m very plump in size and weighing between 68-70kg while having a short stature will eventually give people an impression that I’m an unfit person.
.
After the race, I met him again. And lo and behold, he had to preach me the ‘FIT’ sermon again. I’m okay with it. In fact, it motivates me. I read in runner’s world magazine about a runner who lost 38kgs through running.
.
RW: I see that you are wearing a new outfit. What happen to your “Pasar Malam” bought pants and vest?
AN: Yes, bought it a day before the race at Ipoh parade. I though if I want to take running seriously I therefore need to invest on quality attires. It did boost my spirit a little bit since I now look like a professional runner.
.
RW: Tell me more about the difficulties you faced in the race.
AN: I would say that the last 3 kilometers were the hardest. It’s just the feeling I had because the finishing line was in sight but it felt like its taking a long time to reach. It was a time when the runner’s psychological effect of “Hitting the Wall” was possible. And I’m so afraid of that.
.
RW: Did you have a lot going on in your head when you run?
AN: A little bit. Mostly laconic thoughts which able to motivate me to keep on running such as "FASTER-LAH", "RUN FATBOY RUN!", "COME ON!". Sometimes I think there's a group of little cheerleaders living in my head.
.
RW: I heard you're part of a running club in Penang.
AN: Yes. It’s a new club by the name of Team Miracle Mile. I encourage all readers who are reading this to be part of this running club. This club changed my life. As you all know, I’m not much of a runner before but I after being afflicted with Team Miracle Mile, I started running passionately.
.
By the way, if you are one of the early birds to join Team Miracle Mile, you’ll get a free Mizuno running vest worth RM59.90 for FREE!
.
RW: So, what is next for you now that you’ve completed your first ever long distance race?
AN: I will continue running and aim for a better timing every each race. I would also like to improve on my training which means I need to read more books or online facts by experts. Another thing I’m looking forward to is diet which I believe may enhance my running performance.

1 comment:

Hasten said...

Wow, cool! You landed a Runner's World interview! Haha... :P

Wait, I sms Bernie. I mean, Alberto Salazar...